Saturday, February 4, 2017

Tack and Show Clothes Needed for English Versus Western Riding

English Riding

This tack is usually used for areas of riding such as jumping, dressage, English pleasure, and even everyday riding.

  • English bridle
  • English saddle
  • White pad
  • Snaffle bit

Clothing is more formal in English riding, especially for shows. The picture on the right is of me riding the horse I was leasing named, Mary. This was taken right before my English Pleasure class at a county show. The show clothes that are necessary include:

  • Breeches
  • White button up English shirt
  • Blazer/show coat
  • Pin for the collar
  • Tall boots
  • Hair net (if you have long hair)
  • Black helmet (or helmet cover)

Western Riding

The tack is usually the same items that you would see in an old western movie. It is used in areas like ranch work, roping, barrel racing, trail riding, and pleasure riding.

  • Western saddle
  • Western saddle pad
  • Bridle
  • Bit depends on the horse and your preference

Show clothing for western is a little more elaborate and flashy. For ladies the shirts are usually covered in bling. The picture is of me and my mother talking before one of my western classes. 

  • Western show shirt
  • Black or some color of pants to match
  • Chaps
  • Belt
  • Boots to match the chaps. 
  • Hair net
  • Cowboy hat/helmet

No matter what style of riding you choose to ride, whether it is English or Western, the key is to look polished and put together.  Both you and your horse need to look clean and professional before you enter that show ring. I always thought it seemed like a horse and rider beauty pageant depending on the level of showing. The main goal is to do your best and have fun. Showing can be nerve wracking, so I really hope this list helps you know what you will need for a show both for yourself and your horse.

No comments:

Post a Comment